Visualization is a relaxation technique related to meditation. In the visualization you imagine being in an environment that increases your well-being. It differs from meditation by focusing on positive images to overcome negative emotions and to master your stress.
You sit or lie in a relaxed position and concentrate on breathing, just as you do with meditation. You think of something that for you means peace and security. Perhaps you imagine that you are lying on a summer meadow while the sun is shining and small nice insects are buzzing... Or maybe you are lying on the dock in the sun on a summer day while the waves are slowly gurgling you to calm...
Choose something that feels right for you and stay in that feeling for a few minutes every day. The exercise below can be done on your own, under the guidance of a therapist or with the help of a CD-recording. You can buy the CD at the Era Nova bookstore or through EcaP / Bernie Siegel http://berniesiegelmd.com/ , email email@example.com.
EcaP (exceptional cancer patients) is an organization created by Bernie Siegel for severely ill cancer patients. There is a lot of audiovisual material and audio material in English that you can greatly enjoy if you can speak the language. Don't forget to request the right format for Europe. Also visit https://chopra.com/ , email firstname.lastname@example.org
Also in Finland there are doctors who practice visualization therapy in groups or individually, e-mail Muller-Niesteadt@hin.ch. Despite a foreign appearance, these people speak Finnish and often visit Finland.
VISUALIZATION EXERCISE FOR CANCER PATIENTS
Begin the exercise by calming your mind.
- Concentrate first on forgiveness. Forgive real and imagined trespasses you have experienced from different people.
- Now spend about 5 minutes cleansing yourself of negative thoughts, including feelings of fear that you have about your illness. Visualize this thought energy as black colour. Imagine a vacuum cleaner moving from head to toe, suctioning away all the darkness, all the black that is created by the fear and the pain. I will remain quiet for a moment while you do this.
- Now visualize a pale blue shimmering light above your head – it represents your spiritual guide whom you call upon for help while you transmit loving thoughts. Concentrate on your breathing, for about 5 minutes, counting your breaths. Check your breathing and imagine inhaling harmony and exhaling disharmony. Your aim is to harmonise your breathing and your own biorhythm.
- Now imagine that your higher consciousness is an ever growing golden balloon, there to protect your body. Tell yourself: I want the part of me that is immortal to protect the part of me that is mortal. Now begin your most intense concentration. Pull the clean white light out of the balloon and send it like a beam of strength into your bodily organs. Since your white blood cells are the strength and power of your immune system you can picture them as bubbles that attack the dark cancer cells and explode them with the power of light over darkness!
- If you are receiving cytostatics, support the treatment by sending out a lavender colour, as if you could see it like the light from an infrared lamp, and let the lavender shine all over your body. Lavender is the colour of wisdom and spiritual strength.
- Now send green colour to heal the cells that have been damaged by the cancer. If you want you can mix the green with the blue from your spiritual guide during the most difficult periods. Choose your own version or mix and imagine that the green is a running liquid which repairs and heals you from the inside.
- The final step is to again conjure a shimmering blue light around your head to maintain your mental fortitude and control over a weakened body. Expand the blue into a shield around the outside of your body. Feel how the healing power of this love light envelops you inside and out. Imagine that you are in a state where you are protected and carried and end with the mantra: heal, heal, heal!